Today marked a monumental moment in the world of theme parks as Universal Orlando Resort unveiled its highly anticipated project, Universal Epic Universe. The announcement confirmed what many industry insiders have been rumoring for years: this park will take Orlando into a new realm of excitement and innovation with cutting-edge attractions and experiences that will transcend imagination.
Set to redefine the theme park landscape, Universal Epic Universe boasts a diverse array of thrills, captivating visitors with its blend of technology and storytelling. From iconic characters like Super Mario and Harry Potter to futuristic original landscapes, this expansion is poised to captivate audiences of all ages. As the details were unveiled this morning, enthusiasm among fans and industry insiders soared, solidifying Universal's commitment to pushing the boundaries of theme park excellence.
Opening in 2025, Epic Universe is a high watermark for Universal Parks & Resorts worldwide. The new park, which was first announced in August 2019, has been steadily growing just south of the existing Universal Orlando Resort, home to Universal Studios Florida, Universal CityWalk, and Universal Islands of Adventure. The newest gem in Universal's crown will feature more than 50 new attraction, dining and shopping experiences. With this fourth theme park, Universal says they are transforming their Orlando resort into a full weeklong vacation destination.
Epic Universe, at opening, will be made up of five distinct lands:
- Celestial Park: a wholly original land that brings the "park" back into theme park. This land will have three attractions including the dual-racing coaster "Starfall Racers". There is also a Celestial Carousel and new restaurant experiences. It also serves as the 'hub' with portal entrances to each of the other lands at the park.
- Super Nintendo World: the latest Nintendo-themed world to open at Universal Parks, this land takes you inside your favorite video games featuring Mario, Luigi, Peach and even Donkey Kong.
- Dark Universe: resurrecting a brand that was all but abandoned after Tom Cruise's failed "The Mummy", this land will feature all of the Universal Classic Monsters. I'm particularly excited about this land because it will be led by a female Dr. Frankenstein. I also always loved the "Dark Universe" idea and branding.
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter Ministry of Magic: this land will blend the worlds from Fantastic Beasts in Paris and the Ministry of Magic in Great Britain. It's the third Harry Potter land at the Univeral Orlando Resort and will be the first-of-its-kind land in the world including a ride the park says will have to be a surprise.
- How To Train Your Dragon Isle of Berk: this land takes us right into the heart of the storied universe of the How To Train Your Dragon films. Taking us into the movies is something Universal has always excelled at and this land should be no different with a fully immersive trip into Berk with Toothless.
There will also be a 500-room hotel within Epic Universe called Universal Helios Grand Hotel. You'll be able to stay INSIDE the park... how awesome is that?!
Start planning your vacation now, as Universal Epic Universe is set to open in 2025 and will change the Orlando Theme Park landscape in a massive way. Universal promises that "guests will embark on a journey of discovery, thrills and excitement in a world between worlds". But don't take my word for it... take theirs!